Thursday, June 20, 2019

Oriention Blog



Hi there,


It's Summertime and this is my opening blog to an 8-week Applications in GIS course that is designed to introduce how to apply the use of GIS in the study of geohazards, natural disasters, urban planning, homeland security/law enforcement. and marketing/location decisions.  Laboratory exercises, case studies, and course projects are structured to use true-to-life datasets to solve real-world problems.

Getting started is always takes me extra effort to feel comfortable.  I'm sure I'll get bucked out of my saddle, but I'll brush off the dust and climb back on to find my seat again.

Talking about horses and saddles is a theme I used to create my first story map of the course.  I've always had an affection and appreciation for the western way of life, which again is the theme I expressed in my first web app. Here is a link to my Story Map: https://arcg.is/18990r0

Well now that I'm done with the formalities of orientation obligations, its time for the first GIS application, the examination of different approaches to suitability modeling.  Suitability modeling identifies the most suitable locations based on a set of criteria. It is one of the classical examples of GIS, and it represents a very well established technique that has been around since the early days of spatial analysis using GIS.

Well, I better head off to my reading assignments for module 1.

Until Next Time,



No comments:

Post a Comment